Welcome to our blog! This blog is for our family and friends...we love each of you dearly and hope that this blog will keep you updated on our lives and family.



You are each a rich blessing to us.


" For in him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28



Monday, April 19, 2010

Oh dear...


Do you every have those days where you feel that you are screwing your child up royally? A day when, no matter what you do, you seem to see your quirky lacking in the motherhood department? Last week I had one of those days. If life were truly a game of baseball, I would have struck out an entire Major League team. Seriously.

It started with Pearce’s doctor’s appointment. I went to pick him up at Miss Sheron’s only to find him in a Christmas t-shirt. That’s right, a Christmas t-shirt. Why?, you ask. Well, because I am an irresponsible mother who forgot a back up change of clothes for my son and his shirt that day was covered in lunch. So, the Christmas t-shirt was necessary to save him from stains galore. Strike One.

When we got to the doctor’s office, I realized that Pearce’s hair was a mess. We only see Dr. B and her staff every once in awhile and Pearce needed to look cute. He was already wearing an oversized Christmas t-shirt…the odds were stacked against me. How on earth was I supposed to fix his signature hairdo? As I walked into the hospital I noticed Purell hand sanitizer on the wall. So, like any mother would have, I doused his ‘do in Purell. I am not kidding. Strike Two.

As we discussed Pearce’s possible ear infection, I assured Dr. B that the infection was in his left ear (if any infection at all). So, Dr. B pulls out her little tool and informs me that Pearce has a major wax build up in his left ear. Strike Three.

After cleaning the waxy residue from both ears she informed me that Pearce does in fact have an ear infection, however it is not in his left ear as I asserted. No, his infection was in his right ear. Yes, I am the observant mother of the year. Strike Four.

Upon completion of Pearce’s appointment, I got into my purse to get the car keys. The usual, friendly jingle of my car keys was absent and my heart began to race. I frantically dug through my bag and literally dumped it on the hospital bed only to find that my keys were no where in sight. I had locked my keys in the car. Thank the Lord for AAA. Strike Five.

Since AAA said they would be approximately an hour, I decided to pacify Pearce with whatever I could. Since he is my son and I am certain we share some sort of characteristic…I took him to do what I would do in a moment of boredom: we went to eat. I promptly walked into the hospital deli and grabbed Pearce a bag of Baked Cheetos, opened it, and plopped him down to start munching. I took my time choosing my snack, and when I went to pay I learned the deli does not take checks or credit cards. Ironically, I never carry cash. Fabulous. Like any responsible mother would have, I left Pearce sitting up to his elbows in Cheetos, in the deli full of strangers while I ran to the ATM down the hall. Strike Six.

So that was my brush with craziness. To be perfectly honest: I was frustrated, overwhelmed and cranky. But thank goodness that even at our worst, the Lord can take these rough days and reveal Himself in the midst of chaos….

When I got home, the Terminix representative was waiting for us to do our annual termite inspection. The result? Termites. Swear. Could somebody please take over my life right now? Please?

While the rep and I were in the kitchen discussing the financial woes that were to come in treating our new ‘wood-eating friends’, the Lord spoke to me through the Terminix guy. I was busy feeling sorry for myself and lamenting the day I had just survived, when he noticed our kitchen chalkboard with scripture on it. He then said, “You know, that verse is really cool. Another verse I like is ‘Be still and know that I am God’.”

Wow. Okay God, I am listening. Be still and know that I am God. Such a powerful verse. And here’s the deal: I don’t read this as a request. It is written as an order. I think the words are so intentional here. He does not tell us to feel that He is God or hope that He is God. He instructs us to know that He is God. This says so much about my God’s determination to reach me... he spoke to my heart through a Terminix rep. I needed to hear that. How dear that we serve a God who cares enough to seek us!

And for those of you that read this and are rightfully concerned about Pearce’s well being, rest assured that he has at least one fabulous parent. (See post below.)

4 comments:

  1. My motto is that I forfeit my "mother of the year" award at least three times a day. Never a dull moment, loved it. You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty!! I'm with you girl...I haven't done Purell but I'm done a lot in the same ballpark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brookie, you are so awesome! This post really cracked me up. You are one amazing mom, and Pearce is so very lucky. I love the Terminix story. God is so cool to work in that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Papaw's favorite verse and you know the crazy thing....Well once I sent Brooke Benson in the gas station to get me something with 2 dollars and she got me a card with my name on it and a verse....it was THAT VERSE! With that and that it's Papaws fave...it's mine now too!
    You're a great Mom and Pearce loves every moment of his wonderful little life!

    ReplyDelete