Welcome to our blog! This blog is for our family and friends...we love each of you dearly and hope that this blog will keep you updated on our lives and family.



You are each a rich blessing to us.


" For in him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28



Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall's Fantastic-ness

Well, it's fall and it just so happens that I have very strong opinions about this time of year...

I absolutely, positively, love it!


A boy and his pumpkins...

Seriously, nothing gets me in a better mood than a crisp, cool morning and a scarf around my neck. I find myself at the Starbucks drive thru much more than in the summer, because let's face it: a cold coffee just doesn't satisfy like a warm one does. A nice Chai Latte or White Mocha always warm my body and heart. And oddly enough, my house is cleaner in the fall...I wish I had an explanation for this but it simply is what it is.

Every year, Jimmy indulges my love for fall. September 1st is D-Day at our house: Decorate Day. I pull out all my fall decor and strategically place dried leaves, garland, and pumpkins around the house. (It's the only time of year that the color orange is welcome in our home). I then dig up the half-priced, end of season, Pumpkin Patch and Leaves candles I purchase every year at Bath and Body Works. I light them. And I wait as our home magically comes alive with the scent of fall. It is wonderful and is an immediate lift to my spirits.


There is a tree in our neighborhood that simply screams fall. It is a fabulous shade a green, accompanied by and even more fabulous splash of red leaves.  It looks as though God simply whipped out his paintbrush and dotted the "i" for His truth of, "I love you, world." The red leaves rock and I find joy each time I drive by this terrific tree.
In my never-ending attempts to be the best wife and mother JB and Pearce could want (sigh), I have been working on some creative cooking and treats for this time of year. First, I have been cooking with lots of pumpkin lately. Our recent dishes include: Pumpkin Sausage Lasagna, Coconut Pumpkin Soup, Pumpkin Cream Cheese with Bagels, Pumpkin Casserole, and Jimmy's favorite: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars. (they really are delicious). Who knew there were so many pumpkin recipes out there? And the best part? They are super easy!

I also love the fact that fall means we get to begin the ever-important task of selecting Pearce's Halloween costume. Because, here's the deal: I realize I only have a few blissful years of costume input and I cherish each year that my opinion counts. This year may be my last, and I fully intend to make the most of it. I love the idea of selecting adorable, yet orginal costumes sweet Pearce would never select on his own merit. In fact, I try to select something I would secretly love to wear.

 On his first Halloween, when most babies are dressing up as little pumpkins and buntings; Pearce was a ferocious shark. The kiddo had no teeth, cheeks as sweet as molasses, and could barely sit up. But oh yes, he was a serious shark and totally convincing.

A Shark Tale

Last year's costume selection was a little more challenging. Pearce was walking, ahem, running every where he went and simply wouldn't tolerate any old costume. It needed to have heart and it needed to be fabulous. Enter ... Yoda. Yes, Pearce was the best Yoda in the history of Yodas.

May The Force be with you.

Fall also means we are blessed with a series of carnivals and trips to the pumpkin patch. It is such a delight to watch Pearce in these atmospheres. He is totally in a different element and looks around like a kid in a ... well, pumpkin patch. He squeals with delight as he climbs over perfectly round pumpkins and rushes to line up again for his tenth turn on the moon bounce. We sit back and watch our boy play as I find something to do with my new found time: I savor every last bite of Lehman's kettlecorn and sip fresh squeezed lemonade. Delicious.

One of the most exciting things about fall is that Christmas is right around the corner. And yes, my Christmas decor comes out early too. This year I promised Jimmy I would hold off until the end of November...I am not sure I can wait that long. Wink, Wink.

1 comment:

  1. A girl after my own heart! I'm obsessed with all things pumpkin and fall. Just last night I made pumpkin penne pasta a la Rachel Ray. Here's the link to the recipe. I think you'll probably like it. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/penne-wise-pumpkin-pasta-recipe/index.html
    Your family is so precious!

    ReplyDelete