Welcome to our blog! This blog is for our family and friends...we love each of you dearly and hope that this blog will keep you updated on our lives and family.



You are each a rich blessing to us.


" For in him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28



Saturday, November 13, 2010

DAY FIFTEEN

I am thankful for the wisdom of those who came before us.


Sometimes I have no idea of what I am doing. When Jimmy and I first got married I could barely cook. I had little knowledge of how to get stains out of clothes, and I was learning to be a wife and meet my husbands needs. I needed direction and counsel on living life as a married woman. So I turned to the knowledge of others. Whether it be conversations with women I respect or time reading a book on these topics, I am so thankful for the insight they provided.

Life is tough and I do not believe we were created to go at it alone. No, the Lord has better plans for us. He has blessed me with many who provide Godly counsel in my life. I am also thankful for the direction and guidance scripture has offered us.

As we navigate our way through parenthood, we have relied on the wisdom of others often. I spent hours with friends and my mom as I learned how to nurse Pearce. The lactation consultants were programmed into my phone and I read every online article I could find. I specifically remember one day when Pearce was a few months old and I was having breakfast with a group of friends at someone's house. I nursed Pearce for about 15 minutes and he acted like he was done. I remember saying, "He can't be done. He usually nurses for 1.5 to 2 hours."  Screech.... The room came to a stop and my best gals were staring at me wide-eyed. After a brief run down of what is normal and what is not, I learned that sweet Pearce was using me as a pacifier. I was grateful for the guidance because frankly, I thought all little ones were hungry little bulldogs.

We are at a particularly difficult time right now with Pearce. He is two and is Mr. Independent. He is bossy, cranky, disobedient, and just plain crazy at times. But he is also so sweet and obedient at times. When the tantrums take hold, Jimmy and I often stare at each other as we try desperately to figure out which alien abducted our child this time. What is Meanie the Martian? Or Absurd the Alien? Or is this really our child, simply exerting his independence and need to grow?

I am thankful for the guidance of friends and family during this time. I am thankful for the Christian books we refer to when trying to exhibit Godly discipline. And I am thankful for scripture as a point of direction. Simply put, I am so thankful for those who share their wisdom and experiences with us. It makes me feel normal. The fears that I am royally screwing up our child are eased...and I find hope in knowing that millions of others have gone before us. (and lived to tell about it).

So today I am thankful for all of you who offer words of encouragement, advice, and wisdom with us. Thanks for speaking truth into our lives.

Lord, thank you for surrounding us with loving friends and family as we raise Pearce. I pray for continued direction and guidance in raising him to be a boy after Your Own Heart.

1 comment: