Welcome to our blog! This blog is for our family and friends...we love each of you dearly and hope that this blog will keep you updated on our lives and family.



You are each a rich blessing to us.


" For in him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28



Monday, November 1, 2010

DAY THREE

I am thankful for the weekend.


If I were to write an acrostic on all the things I love about the WEEKEND, it would look something like this:

W- Wonderful opportunity to sleep in (eh, sort of...we have a toddler here people)
E - Early morning coffee with my hubby, as we watch cartoons with Pearce
E - Eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner together as a family
K - Kid friendly activities such as the pumpkin patch, the park, and running around our front yard
E - Erasing any distractions from the week before
N - Noontime naps with Pearce and Jimmy
D - Dinner with friends and their kiddos

I remember being in high school and the main topic of conversation each Friday was what everyone was going to be doing for the weekend. Who had a date? Who was going out of town with family? Who was throwing the coolest party? It was almost as if we had this mindset of, "He with the most plans, wins." Now that I am grown, I treasure our quiet weekends. I am so thankful for the opportunity to rest. Simply typing this out rejuvenates my spirit as I think about our upcoming weekend and the rest that is waiting for us.



I am thankful for the days that we get to be together as a family.  Saturday morning rolls around and Jimmy and I are awakened from a deep, much needed sleep to the dearest little voice on the monitor. We greet Pearce in our PJ's and head downstairs for coffee and a leisurely breakfast. Sometimes we shower and get ready for the day...sometimes we all stay in our grungy clothes as we clean house or work outside. Either way, we are together. And being together is terrific. I often take the fact that Jimmy and I have the weekends off from work for granted, but I know no every family is so lucky. I am so grateful that we have two whole days to be together before Monday rolls around again.

I am thankful that the weekend affords an understanding that "anything goes" and the rules can be bent. Impromptu dinner gatherings, playtime with friends, and pedicures are totally acceptable on weekends. Our strict 8pm bedtime for Pearce is often stretched as we sit and chat with our friends and watch the kiddos run amok. The chance to grill out hot dogs, bring your own lawn chairs, and laugh with friends while you sip a cold beer is so precious. Some of my favorite memories are made with our dear friends on weekends.

I am also thankful that the weekend allows me to start Monday with a clean slate of completed chores. Things like grocery shopping, house cleaning, and laundry are much more enjoyable on these lazy days. Am I the only one who feels like this? I love to grab my cup of coffee, put on some Taylor Swift or Shane and Shane and get to cleaning our humble home. Before I know it, our place smells wonderful, looks lovely, and is perfectly poised for us to mess it up again. I love it. Not to mention the fact that our fridge is fully stocked with the upcoming week's essentials. Double whammy!

This weekend was particularly wonderful as it was Halloween, and we got to take sweet Pearce to Trunk or Treat at our church. And this year's costume of choice? Harry Potter. He totally rocked it. I am so proud.


But in all seriousness, I am so grateful for the weekends. We live in such a fast-paced world and often times I forget to slow down enough to enjoy it. The weekends afford the perfect opportunity to do just that: enjoy.

Thank you Lord for the weekend. You set a perfect example for us when you rested on Day 7 of Creation. Thank you for caring enough about Your children to offer us rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment