Welcome to our blog! This blog is for our family and friends...we love each of you dearly and hope that this blog will keep you updated on our lives and family.



You are each a rich blessing to us.


" For in him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28



Thursday, November 4, 2010

DAY SIX

I am thankful for the Word of God.




It’s funny how something as major as the Word of God can become commonplace in our lives. I would like the think that if God were to speak in a booming voice for all the world to hear, we would listen, right? So why is it that His written, divinely inspired Word is so easily overlooked? I don’t get it and I am just as guilty as the next guy. Often times, I feel like we treat His truth as some sort of collection of inspirational quotes instead of what Scripture really is: A collection of letters, accounts, and stories that were lovingly crafted by our God through divine inspiration. Our home is decorated with a series of signs, picture frames, and hand written Bible verses that I often glance over in my day to day activities. But when I stop and take a moment to mediate on the Truth in front of me, I am so grateful for His Word in my life.


There is a Bible verse that has literally been on our refrigerator since the day we found out we were pregnant with Pearce. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was really worried about the health of our surprise baby. To be honest, I was also a little scared and unnerved at the thought of becoming a mother before we were “ready”. I woke up one morning and Jimmy had posted this sweet verse on our fridge for me to see. I never took it down and when we moved homes and got a new fridge, the verse came with me. Even today, the truth Jimmy took the time to share with me brings me an immense amount of comfort and peace. I am so grateful for that.





I am also thankful for scripture because we live in such a jaded time. Frankly, between reality television, my magazine subscriptions, and the news; it is so easy for me to forget what matters. These are the times when I desperately need the promises God gives us as His children. I believe those moments are the precise moments the Lord knew I would need truth spoken over my life…and those truths are precious. My Savior has something to say … to me. I know you all know what I am talking about when I say there have been numerous times in my life when I read scripture and it speaks so directly to my heart, I would swear that God was standing there saying it to me Himself. How dear is that? We have a God who cares enough to speak to our individual hearts, despite our unique personal circumstances!


I am also grateful for the simple Bible stories we get to share with sweet Pearce. For awhile we were a little concerned, as Pearce thought Noah was Santa and would squeal “Santa!” with delight each time we saw Noah in a book or on a toy. He has since decided all bearded mean are either Jesus or Noah, so we are making some progress. A few weeks we were at Zio’s and there was a painting of an Italian man on the wall. Pearce was so proud of himself as he pointed and yelled, “Look Mama! Jesus!”


But in all seriousness, I love that scripture is easy enough for even little minds to understand. Pearce knows that Noah was obedient and we often try and remind him of that obedience when we are in the middle of a toddler throw down. He knows that David and Goliath fought, and that David trusted God. He knows Jesus loves him and that is so amazing! I mean, the kiddo doesn’t even use the potty yet but he is able to grasp that someone named Jesus loves him…awesome. I am grateful for the wisdom of scripture and I am thankful that these truths will follow Pearce through life.




As Jimmy and I navigate marriage, parenthood, family, and friendships, scripture is often the place we find direction and peace. I love that God covered everything we could possibly need clarity on during our time on this earth. I am grateful for the promises of God’s Word. I am grateful for the peace and hope it brings me in times of hurt and sadness. I am grateful for the truth we can turn to when questions arise.


And on the note of Noah and his ark, I have to share this story:


A few nights ago Pearce was doing a Noah’s Ark sticker collage. Jimmy and I looked over and saw that he had strategically placed Noah and his wife holding hands in front of the ark. Yesterday I asked him what they were doing and he said, “Holding hands. Like this…” and he reached over and took my hand. So stinking sweet.

Thank you God for giving us encouragement, direction, and hope through the Bible. Thank you for speaking to me through your Word

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog & your stories...I have been blogging since 2006 & it is something that is so special to me. I love love love this post.

    Kristen (trout) Cooper

    ReplyDelete