Welcome to our blog! This blog is for our family and friends...we love each of you dearly and hope that this blog will keep you updated on our lives and family.



You are each a rich blessing to us.


" For in him we live, and move, and have our being." Acts 17:28



Monday, November 15, 2010

DAY SIXTEEN

I am thankful for my parents.





This past weekend we were at my parents house helping them finish out their newly remodeled kitchen. In the midst of their kitchen goodies, I found a card I had written my parents in college. The purpose of the card was to thank them for their love and support over the years. I went on to tell them that I was genuinely happy in life and that I wanted them to know I was happy and healthy thanks to their support and love. As I read the card I realized that it has been years since I told them how thankful I am that I was blessed with parents such as themselves. So, I thought today would be a perfect opportunity to be grateful for their role in my life.


From the time I was young, I never doubted their commitment and love for us girls. In fact, as I look back at our childhood I realize that they were probably too committed to us girls at times. They rarely went away just the two of them, we always went as a family. Birthdays were a special event at our home … complete with good morning balloon bouquets, special birthday breakfasts, and great presents, however their birthdays were always more low-key. They gave us all the fun and joy that they truly deserved. I am so thankful that they made such an effort to make our special occasions memorable.


I am thankful that my parents are still married. This year they will be celebrating 37 years together and while I know their marriage isn’t picture perfect, us girls always had the security of knowing they were committed to making it work. Holidays, birthdays, and even weekdays were spent together as a family unit and we were blessed to experience a life where we were all together.


I am thankful for their support all these years. Whether it was helping me campaign for state office in high school, or attending awards ceremonies at OU, I could always look out and see their proud, smiling faces. They have been so supportive of Jimmy and I as parents. My mom spent many nights with us so we could juggle Pearce’s ‘up all night’ episodes. My dad is always tinkering with something in his garage to bring a smile to Pearce’s face. And they are always just a phone call away if we need a night out or help during the week.


I am thankful that they still take care of us. When they come to visit, my laundry is always clean and folded by my sweet mom. My dishwasher miraculously empties itself, and the counters are always wiped down. And my dad always has his tools in tow just in case there is something he can do to take care of us. Whether it be walking us through ceiling fan installation, or adding more freon to our AC unit, dad is there taking care of his girls. And it’s not that he doesn’t trust his sons-in-law to do it themselves, he just loves to serve us in that way. And frankly, he is a mechanical genius so we have often been saved by his knowledge of all things mechanical.


No matter how great or how tough life has been, my parents are right there with me. And for that, I am thankful.

Lord thank you for blessing me with my parents. Thank you for the wisdom and guidance you instilled upon them as they raised us girls. I thank you for a loving relationship that has been built upon mutual respect for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment